The Power of a Word

Language-Art Project 2023

Click here for the Language-Art Project homepage.

What is the power of a word? The subtle ways just one word can change the way things go, is so crucial to the human experience. The art in this section reflects on this, exploring the way words make us feel, and the effect that words can have on our interpretation of the world.

In fact, the works draw attention to the multitude of languages as well, and the different words in these different languages illustrate both the beauty and complexity of this discourse.

Hal Warren, co-curator

May 2023

Artists:

Pearl Jacques

Fatima Hussain

Shirin Majid

Kiara Corso

_______________________________________________________________________________

Dearmad

Pearl Jacques

Four images of scrunched up collages

For the exhibition: 25cm x 25cm aluminium prints.

I’m interested in the demise of Scottish Gaelic, having a Glaswegian mother.

The British Government banned Highland culture after the final loss of the Jacobites  (1746). The Highland Clearances took place (1750-1860) which immensely damaged Scottish Gaelic. Highlanders were cleared from the land, as landowners could increase their profits by having sheep on their land instead of renting to Highlanders. 

Cleared out of their homes, their houses burned down, they were forced to leave. People froze to death in winter with no shelter and starved as they could not grow food. Many went to the in factories in Glasgow.

I created, 3 digital collages combining old photos of my Scottish relatives, and typography saying ‘you have forgotten me’ the top half in English and the bottom half in Scottish Gaelic. Printed them, scrunched them up, then scanned them to create 4 new images. The ‘scrunching up’ conveys the disregard for Scottish Gaelic speaking people in (1750-1860) and the awful treatment they received.

Dearmad means ‘forgotten’ in Scottish Gaelic.

Pearl Jacques is studying BA Graphic Design Communication (Year 2) at Chelsea College of Art. She is interested in the loss of Scottish Gaelic due to the Highland clearances between 1750 – 1860.

Website: Pearljacques.cargo.site

Instagram: Pearljetjacques

Echoes

Fatima Hussain

Digital / Print on Paper

These series of three posters depict memories of language in my life. ‘کچھ†کچھ†’ (Transliteration: Kuch Kuch) meaning “partly” in Urdu is my interpretation of my broken understanding of Urdu and how it has affected my relationships with people from Pakistan. ‘بيتي†’ (Transliteration: Bayti) means ‘my house’ in Arabic; I was born and raised in the United Arab Emirates, and like my Urdu, I have a very broken understanding of Arabic too. Both posters aim to visually show my fragmented knowledge of the languages. The last poster ‘Adoration’ explores nicknames of endearment that have stuck with me, whether people have taught me what they meant or have personally called me these. I find it beautiful how no matter the language, we find a way to express adoration.

Fatima Hussain is studying BA Design for Art Direction (Year 1) at LCC. Fatima is Pakistani but was born in the United Arab Emirates leading her to have mixed knowledge on both Urdu and Arabic.

Instagram @huann.i7

Kuch Kuch
Bayti

Adoration

THIS or THAT

Shirin Majid

Acrylic, vinyl and found objects on wood

25 x 25 cm each (x9 paintings)

THIS or THAT uses three languages – words, colour, and objects – to communicate and challenge the viewer’s conscious and unconscious biases. What response do the juxtaposition of words elicit? What immediate feeling do the colours trigger? What do the objects communicate to the viewer? Does the work spark positive or negative thoughts or emotions?

Shirin Majid is a MA Fine Art Digital postgraduate student at Central Saint Martins and creative director of London-based studio Everything You See Here. She makes work to spark the sociological imagination.

Instagram: everythingyouseehere

Maiden / Mother

Taken / Single

Prude / Slut
Bird /Shrew

Hun / Hag

Bubbly / Bitchy

Lamb / Mutton
Pretty / Ugly
Wife / Spinster
THIS or THAT 1
THIS or THAT 2

THIS or THAT 3

Scars

Kiara Corso

Acrylic Paint, 210 x 297 mm

Scars portrays the harsh realities of language and its ability to hurt others. Experiencing the world as a female can be painful when faced with stereotypes, discrimination, and biases. The hurtful words cutting into the body reflect remarks that have been made to the artist and her friends. Language can have powerful connotations associated with it, the simplicity of combining letters can have complex, harmful repercussions. Scars aims to encourage reflection of how we speak to others and the impact that it may have on a deeper, longer lasting level.

Kiara Corso is studying MA Global Collaborative Design Practice (Year 1) at Camberwell College of Arts. She is particularly interested in designing to improve the health and wellbeing of individuals and societies.

Instagram: KiaraC_Designs